While changing the IP address of my vCenter Server is not something I’ve ever had to do before that changed this week. In my quest to separate networks into more logical groupings instead of everything living on the same subnet I had to change the IP address of my vCenter Server Appliance to place it on a new network along with the hosts it was managing. There is apparently a right way and a wrong way to do this.
I logged into the vCSA web interface (vCenterIP:5480), clicked on the “Network” tab and then click on “Address” and assumed this would be the correct place. So I changed the IP address and clicked “Save Settings” then rebooted the appliance.
Yeah…that wasn’t right. As I watched the appliance boot from the console I saw a lot of errors being thrown trying to access services running on the old address and failing. Then I decided to shut down (not reboot) the vCSA and try a different method. This is a pretty simple process, but in case you’re looking for the right way of doing it, this is what worked for me.
Like I said, this is a very simple process. Once the vCSA was running, my hosts were notified of the change and were still in their cluster. Nothing bad happened and the lab continued to function as expected.